Friday 29 January 2010

Reading Lessons for the Donkey

One day Timur was in the mood for teasing Nasreddin Hodja.

`Hodja,' he asked, `can you teach your donkey how to read?

`Yes I can Great Timur.'

`Come now Hodja! How can you teach a donkey to read?'

`If you give me three years time and 3000 gold coins, then I can teach my donkey how to read.' the Hodja was adamant.

`But if in three years time, your donkey cannot read, then I will punish you most severely for trying to mock the Great Timur.'

Nasreddin Hodja and Timur agreed on the terms, the Hodja took the 3000 gold coins and left Timur's luxurious tent. Hodja's friends who witnessed the deal were incredulous.

`Hodja Effendi, what did you do? You know you can't teach a donkey anything other than braying. Three years later Timur will have your head chopped off!' However, Nasreddin Hodja was not worried.

`My dear fellows,' he said calmly, `before three years are up, either I will die or Timur will die. Or, the donkey will die!'

0 comments:

Post a Comment

4lch3m1st © 2008. Design by :Yanku Templates Religion Blogs Muslim Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Religion Top Blogs TopOfBlogs The Alchemy of Happiness Religion Blogs